Dzialga Women in Finance Initiative
First-year women: Applications are now being accepted. Read the details below.
In 2018, the Duke Financial Economics Center (DFE) launched the Women in Finance Initiative, made possible by the Kirsten Alexander Dzialga ’93 Fund. The goal of this initiative is to empower women interested in finance with mentoring, skills training, faculty advising, and networking opportunities. Dzialga Fellows are engaged in activities throughout their sophomore year that help them explore careers in finance and prepare for summer internships, including
- Guest speaker sessions covering a variety of finance topics
- Advising from DFE faculty
- Guidance through the internship recruiting process
- Mentoring by young alumnae professionals
- A trip to New York over fall break to visit major banks, advisory firms, and private equity firms
- Skill development sessions on giving presentations, networking, and getting the most from the internship experience
Sophomore Dzialga Fellows also take the fall semester course ECON 256 Practical Financial Markets, in which they learn the foundational concepts and technical skills required for careers in the financial markets.
The Dzialga Women in Finance Initiative continues to engage fellows beyond their sophomore year, including those who choose to pursue alternative careers. Overall, the initiative offers Duke women the opportunity to develop their individual strengths within a supportive cohort.
Spring 2020 Application
All first-year women are now invited to apply for the Dzialga Women in Finance Initiative. Applicants must include a stock pitch presentation with their application. Detailed instructions for creating a stock pitch are included on the application form. Below are key dates in the application process:
- Thursday, February 13: We will hold an information session for all interested candidates. Attendance by applicants is highly recommended. Sophomore and junior Dzialga fellows will talk about their experiences in the initiative. It will be held from 6:30 to 7:30 pm in the Friedl Building, room 107 on East Campus.
- Wednesday, March 4 at 12 pm: FINAL APPLICATION DEADLINE. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Thursday, March 19: Applicants will be notified whether they have been selected to present their stock pitches to the initiative's directors.
- Thursday, April 2: Finalists will present their pitches.
- Monday, April 6: Finalists will be notified whether they have been selected to be Dzialga Fellows.
Current Dzialga Fellows
Victoria Bevard '21
Karen Chen '22
Kimberly DelSignore '21
Sophie Elliott '21
Courtney Frauen '21
Anna Jiang '22
JJ Jiang '22
Amanda Kang '22
Phoebe Klett '21
Rachel Ma '22
Sneha Mehrotra '21
Samaya Pattim '22
Erica Wang '21
Xin Wang '21
Cindy Wang '21
Gracy Whitaker '22
Rebecca Williamson '22
Devon Wolfe '22
Vivian Yuan '21
Sarah Zhao '22