A core component of DFE's mission is to increase opportunities for ALL undergraduates to explore careers in the financial markets, regardless of gender identity, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic background, sexual orientation, and academic major. Additionally, the finance industry is eager to attract diverse recruits, as women, African Americans, and Latinxs are significantly underrepresented among finance professionals. DFE offers a number of activities that help diverse students prepare for the finance arena:
- DFE hosts the biweekly Diversity Reading Group in the spring semester, the goal of which is to bring together a diverse group of students, help them explore their interest in the markets, and provide them with some foundational knowledge through informal conversation. All students are welcome, regardless of major, class year, or experience level with finance. The Diversity Reading Group is part of DFE's Eichel Finance Advising Network.
- Beginning in the Spring 2021 semester, DFE and the Department of Economics will integrate the STEM Advancement through Group Engagement program (SAGE) in Economics 101. Peer facilitators will lead small study groups of students who have a strong interest in STEM learning at Duke.
- Our Dzialga Women in Finance Initiative empowers women interested in finance with mentoring, skills training, faculty advising, and networking opportunities. Dzialga Fellows are engaged in activities throughout their sophomore year that help them explore careers in finance and prepare for summer internships.
- DFE Teaching Director Emma Rasiel serves as a mentor for the Duke SPIRE Fellows, high-achieving undergraduates from diverse backgrounds with an interest in pursuing a major and/or career in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.
- DFE partners each year with Kappa Alpha Psi, an African-American fraternity, to host their annual Minorities on Wall Street panel event. This event typically attracts attendance of more than 60 students, with representatives from several investment banks.
To learn more about these opportunities and receive information about recruiting firms' diversity and inclusion programs, join the DFE Email List.
Opportunities in Finance
- Bank of America Spring Diversity & Inclusion Forums
- Barclays Diversity Programs
- BlackRock Founders Scholarship and Find Your Future Forum
- Credit Suisse Americas Diversity and Inclusion Programs
- Deutsche Bank dbAchieve Internship
- Goldman Sachs Diversity Programs
- JP Morgan Launching Leaders Program
- Morgan Stanley Early Insights Program
- RBC Pathways Diversity Scholarship Program