A core component of DFE's mission is to increase opportunities for ALL undergraduates to explore careers in the financial markets, regardless of gender identity, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic background, sexual orientation, and academic major. Additionally, the finance industry is eager to attract diverse recruits, as women, African Americans, and Hispanics are significantly underrepresented among finance professionals. DFE offers a number of activities that help diverse students learn about finance:
- DFE hosts the bimonthly Markets Discussion Group every fall semester, the goal of which is to bring together a diverse group of students, help them explore their interest in the markets, and provide them with some foundational knowledge through informal conversation. All students are welcome, regardless of major, class year, or experience level with finance. The Markets Discussion Group is part of DFE's Eichel Finance Advising Network.
- DFE and the Department of Economics have integrated the STEM Advancement through Group Engagement program (SAGE) in Economics 101. Peer facilitators lead small study groups of students who have a strong interest in STEM learning at Duke.
- Our Dzialga Women in Finance Initiative empowers women interested in finance with mentoring, skills training, faculty advising, and networking opportunities. Dzialga Fellows are engaged in activities throughout the sophomore year that help them explore careers in finance and prepare for summer internships.
- DFE Teaching Director Emma Rasiel serves as a mentor for the Duke SPIRE Fellows, high-achieving undergraduates from diverse backgrounds with an interest in pursuing a major and/or career in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.
- DFE partners each year with Kappa Alpha Psi, an African-American fraternity, to host their annual Minorities on Wall Street panel event. Representatives from several investment banks attend to talk about their experiences in finance careers.
To learn more about these opportunities and receive information about recruiting firms' diversity and inclusion programs, join the DFE Email List.